« Home | Routemaster takes final journey » | Hague returns » | License fee » | Brown to "do a Saddam" » | Hogwarts boy wins public schools' competition » | Shock news: another candidate in the Conservative ... » | Opinion: Civil partnerships are as daft as marriages » | David Cameron ready to put the Conservative Party ... » | Vote heralds new future for Conservative Party » | The Pre-Budget Report »

NICE gets nasty

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) has landed in reality with a bump.

In a report leaked today it proposes that people who are grossly overweight or who smoke heavily or drink excessively could be denied surgery or drugs.

Sadly these recommendations will fall on deaf ears. New Labour persists in promoting people who fail to take responsibility for their own actions as 'victims of choice'.

This is to disguise their massive erosions of our civil liberties as 'compassion' rather than the controlling inclinations of a corrupt group of statists who seek to suppress society rather than enable it.

It's sad that after two world wars and a global struggle with Communism we're more likely to see a curtailment of the liberties of the masses rather than the consequences of personal responsibility laid bare to the few.


I drink. Some would say excessively. I'm technically 'clinically obese', according to weight-height indexes, though I wouldn't think of myself as excessively overweight. While it's easy to say 'Why should we give people free surgery if they're fat?' it's not free surgery, and who is to say who is fat and who isn't? I pay my taxes, and dammit, if I get heart disease, I'll have my surgery whether I'm fat or not. And I welcome anyone to tell me I'm fat and I deserve to die more than thin people, to my face. Cause I reckon anyone who wants to do that, doesn't deserve their broken nose treating on the NHS, cause they brought it on themselves.


excellent!

:-)


Tough decisions have to be made about the distibution of resources. I'm pretty sure its policy not to operate on the elderly regardless of their physical status.

I'd be pretty sure NHS doctors are already making decisions of this kind, based on their personal assessment. Its the official nature of this that makes it offensive.

Still Bestie bought a second liver from a private clinic, so its not all doom and gloom for drunks or the overweight, unless they're poor.


yep. The lesson there is if you can't afford to buy a new liver, don't shag the old one.


....and if you can afford it, keep a few spare in the fridge beside the trophy bitter.


"buy special packs to collect tokens for a new liver!"

Post a Comment