« Home | Humus wins Palestinian poll » | Galloway sussed? » | Racist soup for homeless French » | Bin Laden secret identity exposed? » | Fix the hole! » | Ok, so the LibDems are interesting afterall » | Government to legalise brothels » | Leo Blair kidnap plot foiled » | Hemming withdraws » | Party leadership for sale »

Simon Hughes gay shock!

Image hat-tip: DrTrouser


Can I just clarify something... The outrage at Simon Hughes is because he used prostitutes, right? Not because he was gay but didn't tell anyone? I mean, he'd have been treated the same (apart from the above picture) if he'd used ladies of the night, instead of gentlemen of the night?

Simon Hughes in pays for sex shock would be more appropriate. Though they probably wouldn't win any votes off the Tories if they had a gay leader. Or a leader from a minority, or a woman. Actually, I take it back, the Tories did ok with the woman leader.


No, the problem is that he's a liberal and yet still blatantly lied about it as recently as this week:

Jan 14 The Daily Telegraph: "The answer is no, as it happens, but if it was the case - which it isn't - I hope that it wouldn't be an issue.

Jan 16 The Independent: "No, I'm not. But it absolutely should not matter if I was. If I was, and if people were to judge me on that, I would ask them to think again. There is no reason why you shouldn't have a gay leader of a party, or even a gay PM.

Jan 24 The Guardian: "I'm a single guy, which is why I guess it's easy for people to speculate. I'm not going to go into details of relationships but I made a statement, made it clearly and it hasn't changed since last week."

Jan 24 BBC2's Newsnight: Asked about the conduct of the 1983 Bermondsey by-election in which the homosexuality of Peter Tatchell, the Labour candidate, was clearly targetted, Mr Hughes said: "I have never been comfortable about the whole of that campaign as Peter knows, and I said that to him in the past privately and publicly".

Jan 26 The Sun: "I am perfectly willing to say that I have had both homosexual and heterosexual relationships in the past. I hope that does not disqualify me from doing a good job in public life and I propose to carry on doing that with the usual enthusiasm and determination.

The 'shock' bit is intended to be sarcastic, since everyone has known he enjoys the company of men for ages.

He was very brave to go on Question Time last night, and put up a good show.

He denied out right that he had ever paid for sex, which might turn out to be a mistake as it's rumoured that barmen from most of the gay pubs and clubs are lining up to sell their stories to the tabloids.

I think it will cement his support amongst LibDem members - they love a minorities, outsiders and victims. If Hughes plays his cards right he'll be all three soon.

Post a Comment